Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Jaundice Days - Part 1

I must admit on the very onset that I have never felt like this before, never in my life I have suffered something of this magnitude. But once it had stuck, certainly it had taken a considerable part of my life from me. Never in my 24 years of my life (I turned 24 on September 29th) I had spent so much amount of time in the bed, laying up to 22 hours a day, day after day for almost 30 days. Never in my life I have seen people becoming so much interested in color of my piss and shit. Never in my life I have received medication and food advices from such different coterie of people. Never in my life I have denied (and am denying) myself non-vegetarian food for such a prolonged period. And lastly I have never thought that I would have to stop drinking tea. Timing would not have being so inappropriate, on the verge of September with oncoming festive season, I was down, with my liver and to some extent with my life.

It was mid August when I started to have problem with my stomach; indigestion and gas were the main culprits. I usually rely on homeopathy, so I did. But devil kept showing up with newer faces, sometimes with stomach ache and sometimes with a burning sensation whenever I eat something. It was August 14th when my good friend first told me that my eyes were turning pale, I didn’t take him seriously at that time, why would eye? Because with the same breadth he came to accusing his office colleague being suffering from swine flu (which was only a rumor). However, I kept experiencing things I haven’t experienced before, for the first time I didn’t felt to relish a well cooked mutton on August 15th. A week went, I did consult the homeopath, but it was Saturday August 22nd when I felt there is seriously something wrong with me.

During the week preceding August 22nd, twice I went down for a walk, but both of the times after coming back I crashed on the bed only getting up after at least half an hour of rest; a thing unusual of me. But it was that Saturday which really spilled the beans. I had to accompany my grandfather to his old office. He was really adamant with this; otherwise the old man was threatening to go alone. He is 86 years old, suffered three major strokes and is too frail than his previous self; but as it is said in old age you tend to act like a kid and he was doing the same, I had to go even if I was suffering from stomach ache. But the auto ride to and fro became the real eye opener. I almost lied down on my seat both the times, especially while I was returning could not move my hand from my tummy. After we arrived, I just collapsed on the bed. The very evening I called my friends so that they could accompany me to the market place. I just could complete the full round and returned half way. I was feverish and feeling too weak.

This was the moment when my good friend told my condition to his uncle and his uncle called me and ordered (yes, ordered as I do respect him a lot) me to get a jaundice check next morning. Next morning uncle and my friend accompanied me to the clinic for getting my blood tested. It was Sunday August 23rd. I spent entire day on the bed. My friend fetched the report; it read Bilirubin has reached 14. Unable to decipher the result, I went to Tilak Nagar with my friend. An hour later I was back, by this time jaundice was proven, next day I have to visit the doctor.

To be Continued...


Mridula said...

I am glad that it has come to a phase that you can tell the story. I got it just before my 10th boards (long time back) and I know how it is.

Take care.

Megha said...

good to see you are back in action. Bravo, 14 to 3, long journey. I am sure you might have hard time passing 24 X 7...keen to know how you managed...

Take care.